Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Daylight Saving is the Root of all Evil

Twice a year I am brought to my knees by a completely unnecessary observance called Daylight Saving. First there is the ridiculousness of the name, there are the same number of daylight hours in a day no matter what you do and there is no way to "save" daylight unless it's by some solar paneled device. Second, my body knows when the sun has come up and really doesn't care what time the clock says.

Some people claim that Daylight Saving was instituted for farmers. This is ridiculous. As I said, the number of daylight hours is the same no matter what you do. Therefore, if a farmer gets up at the crack of dawn in order to get everything done, he's going to continue to do that whether that time is 6am or 7am. As far as I can tell, the real reason is to save energy. And while I applaud our legislators for their dedication to energy conservation, I am a bit resentful of the fact that for most normal Americans to get this screwed up in their sleep schedule, they have to travel to Europe. At least they get to be somewhere cool while they are adjusting to a new schedule!

You might think that a change of one hour is so small it can hardly make a difference. That's what I keep saying, too, but my body is just not listening. It seems to think I have subjected it to some sort of cruel and unusual punishment and now all it wants to do is sleep. Yesterday, my eyes were watering with the effort of keeping them open. I am not making that up. Today, I am slightly better, but still groggy and relatively nonfunctional.

So, what does this mean for my knitting? Well, folks, it's just not getting done. According to my schedule, I'm supposed to be done with my first sock for sockapalooza/cirque du socks and I'm starting to think this is very wishful thinking. I did manage to get the heel done last night. I like to do a wrapped short row heel instead of a heel flap + gusset (the link is to a toe-up sock pattern with a short row heel but I am doing my socks cuff-down--it's exactly the same procedure either way). It just looks nicer to me in the end. I know you'd love to see pictures and one day, I may even have some. Anyhoo, I still have about 8 inches to knit on this sock and with the way my body has been trying to make me sleep all the time, I'm not sure I'm going to get there by Sunday. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment