Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Getting down to the wire

Well, I got the t-shirt cut out last night, so I'm sewing it tonight.  I confess to doing a few things that I would normally consider rather shoddy practice in order to have it done in time.  First, I didn't pre-wash the fabric.  I realize that I run the risk that it will shrink in the wash but, really, at this point I don't much care if she is able to wear it past Halloween.  Second, there are a few things I would probably rip out and do over if I wasn't on a deadline.  There are a couple of little unintentional tucks in the tops of the sleeves which I would normally try to eliminate by ripping out that small area and redoing the stitching there.  I did some top-stitching around the collar to help hold down the seam allowance on the neck band and it is quite visibly uneven in one particular spot (because I used black thread all the way around the neck, even on the white fabric of the front).  I haven't finished the side seams or done the hem yet, but I will also likely not be too fussed if they turn out less than A quality work.

So, here's an update on the costume:

  • Collar:  Not started
  • Tail: needs to be sewn to an elastic band
  • Shirt:  needs side seams and hem sewn
  • Ears:  complete
  • Leggings:  purchased
  • Make up:  need to buy black eyeliner to draw a few whiskers and give her a little black nose
I guess I had better get back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment